Monday, December 22, 2014

Two Nostrils

Ferdinand the Bull



So worked up
lucky he has two nostrils
~ Korean figure (or aphorism)
translated by W. S. Merwin


I've been working my way through W. S. Merwins book East Window: The Asian Translations and the section on figures or aphorisms is quite telling. Since the aphorisms, more often than not, refer to the foibles of humans, how Ferdinand came into all this I'm not sure. But, there you are or, more precisely, here you go: 



in the great bronze
Buddha's nose chirping...
sparrow babies
Issa
translated by David G. Lanoue




After a month of nearly no internet connectivity (thanks, Verizon), Facebook trashing the original Lilliput Review account (here's the new one for those so inclined), I hope to be posting a little more regularly. There will be a Wednesday Haiku posting this week. Thanks for your patience.

Yes, without those two nostrils, my head would have exploded. Now I'm just smelling the flowers.
 

best,
Don

PS  Click to learn how to contribute to Wednesday Haiku

1 comment:

mary f.ahearn said...

Sorry to hear of the frustrations - no fun at all! Always look forward to your postings.
Mary